Homemade Novelty Pencils
pens and pencils can be used for promotional purposes, jokes,
motivational messages, or just to identify your favorite pen. Create a
mini campaign sticker for school elections and distribute them as
pencil banners. They are cheap, fun and easy to make. Basically you
make a sticker from the material of your choosing and stick it on a
pencil or pen. Once you have made one you will see how easy it is to
make dozens for special occasions or sort time promotions.
A Procrastinator’s Pencil
To demonstrate how to make a novelty pen or pencil I will use a
motivational theme aimed at procrastinator’s. If you would
to print a page of 6 different procrastinator sticker messages for your
own pencil go to Info
Share Procrastinator’s Pencil.
Choosing a Style for your Pencil
To begin decide if you want to wrap your sticker around the pencil or
displayed in a flag style. The flag style gives you more leeway for
content but is bulkier for pocket or purse. Thing to consider when
making your decision.
Flag style Novelty Pencil
- Pictures and images can be viewed without
rolling the pencil.
- You are not limited to 6 lines of 8 pt text.
- It lends its self more to needlepoint or other
- Its high visibility makes it more suitable for
- Your round pen or pencil will not roll away
from you and your favorite pen will not walk away as easily.
- It is easier to find your misplaced pen.
- This style is more inconspicuous for use with
personal motivational messages.
- It is limited to 6 lines of 8 pt printed text.
- Easily carried in pocket or purse.
- Pictures and images are more difficult to view
and limited in size by the circumference of the pencil.
Design and Made Your Novelty Message
- Using your computer’s word processor
your message. For a wrap-around style the text should be 6 lines or
less Arial 8 pt font or the equivalent. For a round pencil or pen you
can experiment with larger fonts and fewer lines.
- Have fun with colors. Use bright bold
- Use unique shapes. If using an image cut your
sticker to follow the shape.
- Use the internet to get cartoons, jokes,
clipart and photos.
- Use needlepoint, artwork, or homemade craft
- Use your imagination, the sky is the limit.
Attaching the Message to Your Novelty Pencil
I call these messages stickers because if you make these messages into
stickers they are readily available to use at any time and place. Also
you are not limited to pencils and pens; they can be placed on
stationary objects as well. Although difficult to remove, carpet tape
stickers can be removed more easily than most adhesives. You can use
any glue or spray adhesive but they are messy and require drying time.
How to Make a Novelty Pencil Sticker
- Cut the message from the page you just printed,
leaving ample space around the message.
- Apply double sided tape to the back to make a
homemade sticker or label.
- If desired apply a clear acrylic coat for
- Cut the sticker to the desired shape and
- Peel the backing off your new novelty sticker
and place it on any surface.
That’s it! You’re done!
NOTE: Not all double stick tapes (aka carpet tape) are the same. Avoid
the cloth type tapes. For more useful tips to make your sticker making
more enjoyable go to our Sticker
Making Tips page.